Raindrops fell here and there, but that didn't keep people from buying corn dogs, listening to live music and buying artwork and other items Saturday at the Cooper-Young Festival.
The rain didn't amount to much, so most people didn't bother to run under tents at the jam-packed festival. The weather was beautiful for most of the day, so revelers dined on fried chicken, funnel cakes, crepes and other festival food and sauntered in and out of "Hustle and Sew," "Hippie Geek," "Tutu Parade" and other booths.
Blacksmith John Golightly set up shop at the festival for the first time this year. His wife, Tracy, who has sold vintage clothing at past festivals, urged John to feature some of his metal artwork. He described the venture as successful.
Still in their tights and makeup, hoop aerialists C.W. Huffstetler and Callie Comptontook a break from their show, which featured students from Valeria's Wings. C.W. said he couldn't wait to get some "greasy food" like corn dogs, but then he remembered he had another show in 10 minutes. Eating "would be bad," he said. "So bad."
Les Passees sale
Kathleen Miller found two large artificial floral arrangements Thursday night at the preview party for the 26th annual Les Passees Stock Exchange.
"I just had to have them," she said. "They're perfect for my house."
Kathleen echoed what most guests probably were thinking as they paraded to the counter with antiques, home décor items and other treasures at the consignment store at 10217 East Shelby Drive near the intersection of Houston Levee Road and East Shelby Drive in Collierville. Proceeds from this year's preview party will benefit the Harwood Center and Les Passees Kids on the Block.
The six-week-long public consignment shop will end Nov. 3. Items, which are added continuously, include lamps, jewelry, furs, rugs, crystal, glassware and garden pieces. Consignors keep 70 percent of the proceeds, and Les Passees uses the other 30 percent to support its projects.
Between shopping, guests took breathers for wine and hors d'oeuvres and to listen to violinist Donna Wolf.
Robyn Buechner and Bobbie Van Cleve were party chairpersons.
'The Magic Blingdom'
Guests gathered Wednesday at Spring Creek Ranch in Collierville for "The Magic Blingdom: Bringing Magic to the Mid-South" gala.
The event, which benefited the Breast Cancer Eradication Initiative, was held in conjunction with the Spring Creek Ranch Ladies Member-Guest golf tournament, said Jennifer Hudson, who runs the women's and juniors' golf programs at Spring Creek Ranch.
In addition to a live auction, which raised $6,000, guests dined on filet mignon and sea bass, listened to music by The Aims Gang and watched a golf exhibition given by Rob Akins, director of golf instruction at the Rob Akins Golf Academy at Spring Creek Ranch. Dr. Christine Mroz, medical director of Mroz-Baier Breast Care Clinic, was the guest speaker.
The Memphis/Mid-South chapter of the Pink Heals organization brought its fire truck, which travels to homes of cancer patients and survivors and supports them with gift packages. Signatures from thousands of breast cancer survivors adorn the truck.
On tags attached to LED-lit helium balloons, guests wrote down names of people affected by breast cancer. The "Light for Life" balloons then were released before a fireworks display took place.
Debbie Churchey and Gigi Wiertelak were tournament chairwomen.
'Heart of Havana'
Photographer David Gingold and photo journalist Hope Dooner opened "Heart of Havana," an exhibit of their photos taken last January in Cuba, on Friday night at Askew, Nixon Ferguson Architects.
"It's always been a mysterious-sounding country," David said.
He liked "getting up early in the morning and going out before businesses open and going back into the alleys behind restaurants and other businesses."
David was interested in "the people coming from outside of Havana with their truckloads of vegetables and fruits and things they were supplying."
In these small markets where tourists did not go, David was "just quietly in the background shooting pictures."
As for Hope's subjects, a lot of them were "the people, the welcoming spirit of the people and the just generous nature and friendly attitude," she said.
She recalled her first trip to Cuba in 1998. "I went by myself and I don't speak Spanish. It was a little bit risky. I felt completely safe the entire time."
Cigars and Cuban mojitos were on hand at Friday's party. Music was performed by Marcela Pinilla and Andre Avelino.
"Heart of Havana" will be on view through Oct. 2.